I’m just back from OOW and the following is a small summary of the items that were hot and new.
Clusterware 12c announced for 2013
- Flexasm : ASM no longer needs to be on the same node as the database. Allows for HA on ASM level.
- Flexcluster : Clusterware now has a lightweight mode in the installer for application/middletier setups. You can combine these with the normal clusterware mode to form 1 big cluster. ( hub nodes and leaf nodes )
- You can now create a Scan vip for each public network.
- gsd service is removed because there is no support for 9i databases on clusterware 12c.
- Shared GNS : You can now have a shared GNS over multiple clusters.
Database 12c announced for 2013
- RAC Application Continuity : First ever database to preserve commit outcome and ensure application continuity during unplanned downtime.
- Pluggable Databases : Databases can now be plugged in a container. Consolidating the background processes, redo and undo.
- Xstream : A GUI on streams apply/capture processes is further enhanced but only available when you have Golden Gate license.
- dbua : now has backup/restore and moving database files during upgrade built in.
- dbua : Gathering statistics is now optional.
- dbua : Now runs the upgrade scripts in parallel mode. Speeding up the whole process.
- smart flash : Can use SSD’s as extention of Buffer Cache.
- RMAN : can now do recover table
- RMAN : Standby databases can now use RMAN to apply an incremental backup automatically ( Recover database from for standby )
- RMAN : Now automatically converts datafiles from 1 platform to the other. ( big-little endian )
- dbconsole is renamed to “EM Express” and now runs from inside the database.
- Many more new features but I concentrated on virtualization and linux during OOW while my colleague did 12c.
OVM 3.2.1 in public beta
- Support for mySQL databases as repository for the OVM Manager
- OVM Manager now supports OVM on SPARC
- Statistics of OVM Servers now available in OVM Manager ( Health tab)
- Minor GUI changes and fixes
- UEK2 kernel in dom0 for driver compatibility with Oracle Linux
- OVM CLI now integrated and further enhanced
- next Beta refresh will contain open Vswitch
- OVM is now integrated in ODA and Exalogic, but each node has a local OVM cluster. No HA.
- ksplice : allows for kernel upgrades without downtime
- yum security updates : Now possible to apply only security updates to your system using yum
- Dtrace : Solaris utility that was ported to Oracle Linux.
- BTRFS : ZFS-like filesystem for Linux.
- UEK3 is coming
- SELinux profiles for every oracle product will be provided in the future
- Linux Containers : Allows for isolation of applications while maintaining 1 OS.
- support for swapfile over NFS
- cgroups : Allows for limiting CPU,IO and memory on process level.
Acquisition of Xsigo was announced
- Allows for virtualizing of network layer.
- Will be integrated in OVM Manager in future releases.
I’ll try to focus on some of these new things in later Blogposts. As always if you have some questions, feel free to contact me or comment.